What is URSOS?
URSOS pretends to be a design tool at a building level as well as at an urban level. In fact, URSOS was partially created due to the European Project Renaissance to fill the existing empty in the area of tools that could simulate at urban planning scale, although it includes creation and optimization at the building level.
The software is for professional use to elaborate and improve urban planning and/or buildings as well as it has a training use, as its learning facility and management converts it into the perfect tool to acquire skills with the energy balances of the buildings, bioclimatic architecture and sustainable urban planning trough multiples variables that affects it.
- Energy demand
- Area calculations
- Sustainability indexes
With URSOS it is possible to model and study the buildings of an urban area and have an overview of the energy demand of that area.
URSOS signs up in the design stage of new urban planning or rehabilitations at district level. The relevance of working at an urban level, it’s given by the fact that the software itself is the one to put the bases for the posterior design of suitable buildings in size and form trough the road system, the existing distances, and the allowed forms between the plots.
Energy demand calculation
The main objective of the software is calculate the energy demand of the studied urban area.
On the other hand, the design stage of the buildings includes aspects like the insulation level, passive solar gains, shade elements, the capacity to allow night passive cooling, etc.
- Influence over the area: possible estimated savings of 20% in terms of appropriate planning and other 20% in what refers to building design, in accordance with the results of the Renaissance Project in its final report. (“INNOVATIVE BUILDINGS for LOW-ENERGY cities”.
Sustainability indexes and shadows
Different solutions are evaluated for the urban environment, from the energy ones to the ones who refer to life quality and habitability for the residents.
Sustainability values, they can be relative for:
- Building level: installations for energy production, including the possibility for renewable ones. Type of floor used, construction materials used or recycled in the building process.
- Roads level: expected circulation speed, power and illuminance of the street lighting, presence and size of wooded areas and the foliage seasonality of the present tree species, and the quantification for the separation of spaces assigned to different transport, pedestrian, bikes, public transport and private vehicles.
- Plot levels: green area, stay places and water surfaces.
- Global urbanization level: entries for garbage collection modes, public renewable coverage, recycled materials or renewables in the process of building, water savings of recycling in public areas, and quantified presence of public services like stores, public transport stops, educational, sports, health and leisure centres.
There are too some views for the whole area
Simulations for deteriorated areas and buildings for their energy upgrade. Actions on the façade, alcoves and systems, stressing out the incidence of shades in areas of tight roads.
Surface calculation. The wholes are included, occupation of land, build surfaces and their different values for the global of the project or separated by the ways of land use.
And that is all, we are currently working on adding the building rehabilitation, improving output windows, usability, etc … We have in mind other aspects such as a 3D visualization, social-urban indexes, autocad file import, etc… We want to keep this software growing and complete all needed tools to design, model and improve a urban area.